Friday, July 30, 2010

My first few weeks as a stay at home dad

So here I am, day 1.  I'm use to waking up very early for work so being able to wake up with my kids at 7:30am was sleeping in for me.  It was very exciting for me to know that I can start making up all the time lost with my family.  When I say all time lost, I mean weekends, family vacations that I was never able to go on, holiday's like Christmas at my wife's families house that I was never able to attend, and special occations like birthdays for my kids, and my wife and my anniversary.  We acted like it was no big deal I had to work so we accepted it.  But thats bullshit,  it bothered me more then words can express.  There wasn't a day that went by I was wishing at work the building would burn down so I can go home and see my kids for 1 day.  My old job as a chef kept me very active so naturally being home with the kids I had to come up with a full days schedule to keep feeling like im busy.  What I had to realize now is that I'm on my child's time schedule.  I do what they want and I cant force them to stay as active as me.  Or expect them to do the things I want to do.  That was the hardest thing at first to get used to.  Changing diapers and doing laundry, and cooking lunch and dinner was easy for me.  I had a much harder time figuring out what will keep my kids entertained and happy other then throwing cookies and popsicles at them.  I'm a little crazy when it comes to the safety of my kids.  I'm one of those dad's who will run to my kid when he falls to the ground and cries for a second.  I'm getting better though at just letting them figure things out for themselves and not baby them too much.  Now, when either one of my kids bang there elbow or scrape their knee on the ground I tell them to shake it off, smile, and say "Everyone takes a beating sometime" Henry Hill, Goodfellas.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Pete! I find that that if I clap and smile when the kiddos fall they shake it off. If I run and worry they cry like hell! Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete